Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service
The Northshore Emergency Management Coalition is a partnership between the cities of Kenmore, Lake Forest Park, Northshore Fire District and Northshore Utility District. NEMCo was created to provide the community it serves with efficient emergency management resources. The NEMCo Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) is an essential part of these emergency management resources.
Northshore Emergency Management Coalition RACES is a volunteer organization of skilled Amateur Radio operators, licensed by the Federal Communications Commission, who provide non-commercial communication services during emergencies and disasters as a public service to NEMCo and other associated agencies.
NEMCo RACES serves the community by:
· Provide back-up and supplementary communications to NEMCo when requested;
· Support governmental and partner agency radio communications during emergencies;
· Provide a viable response to local or regional communication system outages or overloads;
· Provide technical support to NEMCo to assure proper operation of NEMCo or partner agency owned dedicated communications equipment;
· Assist government officials in the protection of life and property by providing accurate communications in a timely manner;
· Staff and operate NEMCo radio facilities during emergencies upon request;
· Handle emergency messages on Amateur Radio Service frequencies that typically involve messages between critical locations such as hospitals, emergency services, emergency shelters, and any other locations where such communication is needed; and
· Provide communications and/or other assistance where required and/or as assigned by NEMCo to aid in accomplishing their mission(s) in areas such as public-safety, or other government communications and emergency radio/wireless communications equipment operations and repair.
NEMCo RACES meet every month on the 1st Wednesday of the month. During the meetings, volunteers discuss community events, technical issues, recent NEMCo developments, training, deployments and other items of interest for the group. The meetings are open to the public, start at 7:00 pm and are located at the Northshore Fire Station 51, 7220 NE 181st ST Kenmore.
NEMCo RACES at Work!!!